In June 1957, 13 local engineering geologists met in Sacramento, CA, to discuss the need for organization of a society in the specific field of engineering geology. During the next eight months, this group (the Founding Charter Members are enumerated below on this page) set up the framework of the California Association of Engineering Geologists by formulating the aims of the organization, a definition of Engineering Geology, and membership qualifications. In February 1958, although the Constitution and Bylaws were yet to be completed, membership recruitment was begun. Three Sections (Los Angeles, Sacramento and San Francisco) were established.
The Association was incorporated according to the laws of the State of California on May 7, 1963. By this action, the original Executive Committee of twelve became the Board of Directors, and requisite constitutional changes were made accordingly.